Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lacy days and lacy nights.......the Prayer Shawl adventure





I have never been successful knitting shawls in lace. I can knit lace on sock cuffs or yokes of DGD's dresses and sweaters but for some reason shawls just escape me. I started a prayer shawl. The pattern to start is the inside area with the triangles. But from there on I kept making mistakes and just kept having to frog back so..................I knowing I could knit the stitches so decided to simplify the pattern myself.


The result is a shield shaped shawl....I used too many increases or shouldn't have increased every other row. Don't have a clue! I love the yarn. I am using one of my favorite sock yarns from Brookside Yarn Studio called Kiwi. The color is 6d. I buy it at Knitting Zone and it is so soft after washing and has a 'fuzz' to the yarn. It is now 'teddy bear' size so I guess I will be frogging back and trying again.

The shawl is a gift for a friend. Growing up without physical or verbal comfort and love, I have a child shaped hole in my heart. As I grow older I realize that nothing I try to place in that hole for comfort brings any lasting healing from child abuse. I guess the two things I missed most were being told 'I love you' and hugs. I knew other kids got them. My brother and I had a game where we would hug or say I love you to our parents so they would have to return the action. Hey, it was better than nothing.

I know my friend went through childhood trama also and I am guessing there just weren't enough hugs. I can't fill up that hole of hers because it is 'child shaped' and nothing but going back to childhood can replace what was missed. Even a hug from that same parent that hurt you doesn't heal the hurt of the little child. (Helps, if sincere....)

When I heard she was making a trip home and was nervious about it and the prayer shawl she was knitting for her mother's gift, I decided to knit a prayer shawl filled with prayer for a good visit. So this shawl is important to me. I wanted her to be able to wrap up in it when she was sad and get a 'hug' from someone who, perhaps, understood. I never thought how long it might take or what trouble I might run into since I am usually a fast, experienced knitter. Boy was I surprized.

So, here I leave you. Stay tuned for the continuing saga of my Prayer Shawl adventure.

Barb

5 comments:

HODGEPODGESPV said...

whenever she gets it she will feel your love...and love you for what you are doing. i love you. i am in coppell so when we meet, be sure you get my share of hugs for you.

sandy

HODGEPODGESPV said...

i like the pattern, what is left to add? when blocked, how big will it be?

HODGEPODGESPV said...

o, last thing, i promise! the shield is a good idea...a symbol of protection.

Barb said...

As viewed in the photo, the shawl would not even fit a small teddy bear. The shape would be fine for a finished shawl but not one about one foot by one foot. I am cutting down to only four increases every other round and see what happens. Thanks for you comments, Hodgepodgespv. Are you in LSSK?
Barb

Trog and Troggy said...

Oh where Oh where has our Firelily Gone.. Oh where Oh where can she beeeee..
Love you Mom!